Sunday, October 23, 2011

Read-a-Thon End-of-Event Meme

It's over. It's time to tie everything up and return to everyday life. Fortunately, the Read-a-Thon comes around again in April.

  1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
          I just couldn't stay awake after about 1am. I woke up several times and tried to read, but just kept falling back asleep.
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
          Not really. For me, a cozy mystery or light-hearted PUF book is going to be easy to read and will keep me engaged. I need to avoid any type of "serious" book.
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
          I still wish the start time would be shifted so that the tough hours between midnight and 5am occur at the beginning of the 24-hour period and not at the end.
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
          Oh, just about everything.
  5. How many books did you read?
          I finished 2 books and read parts of 4 in total.
  6. What were the names of the books you read?
          The two books I finished were Bring It On by Laura Anne Gilman and Corpse Pose by Diana Killian. Two books that I read part of but did not finish were The Nestorian Alliance by Michael Watson and Lord of the Changing Winds by Rachel Neumeier.
  7. Which book did you enjoy most?
          Corpse Pose was just exactly the right book for a Read-a-Thon. The plot was engaging, the action was quick, the characters were interesting, and the execution was very well done.
  8. Which did you enjoy least?
          I took a chance on a self-published book by an independent author. The plot was excellent, but the execution was not very polished. And, because I was tired due to the time of day, that less-than-excellent execution interfered with my enjoyment. Don't get me wrong...I'd still recommend it to others, it was just the least enjoyable of all the books I read yesterday.
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
          I've never been a cheerleader—other than the informal cheering and encouragement that I left on the blogs of other participants. The cheerleaders are a really important part of the program because it's no fun participating in the Read-a-Thon if you think no one is paying attention.
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
          Oh, I'm going to join in as a reader in April.

1 comment:

  1. 12 - 5 are some of the worse hours, the get me everytime, that is a good idea to have the readathon start than. It gets dark so early, so you instanty want to sleep. Looks like you had a good readathon though. Good job.

    ReplyDelete