Thursday, October 27, 2011

BTT: Hard

Booking Through Thursday logoIt's Thursday and Deb has posted another Booking Through Thursday prompt. This week, bloggers are asked:

What’s the hardest/most challenging book you’ve ever read? Was it worth the effort? Did you read it by choice or was it an assignment/obligation?

I'm having a really hard time coming up with an answer to this question. I guess the "hardest" book I've read recently was The Warden by Anthony Trollope. And it wasn't really *hard*. It's more that the style of writing was so different from the recreational reading that I am more used to. If I had approached this book back when I was in school, it wouldn't have been any problem at all as I was accustomed to reading the classics.

I'd have to say that reading this book was definitely worth it. I set myself the challenge of reading several classics each year and chose Trollope as the author I'd focus on for a while. After researching the author and his bibliography, I decided I'd start with his best-loved works, collectively known as the Chronicles of Barsetshire. Since this series of 6 novels starts with The Warden, that's where I started. It took me a long time because other books were beckoning, but I did finish it in March of this year.

The Warden by Anthony Trollope

No comments:

Post a Comment