Saturday, October 31, 2015

Stacking the Shelves (54)

Oh my gosh! I went crazy at the library yet again. Well, I have to blame the librarians a little bit, too. I used the “Recommend a Book” option in the Overdrive application and they approved the recommendations right away. So suddenly, I had two eBooks that I had thought would arrive much later. That wouldn't be so bad, except that I had put a reserve on Sonoma Rose by Jennifer Chiaverini and it became available on Thursday. When I stopped by the library to pick it up, I saw the latest book by Alexander McCall Smith and walked out of the library with it.

Given that I've not read any of these (well, not yet), I'm not going to try to include a blurb of any kind. Rather, just click on the cover image or the title to be taken to Amazon to find a synopsis and reader reviews.

From the library:

Book Cover: Owl and the City of Angels by Kristi Charish Title: Owl and the City of Angels
Author: Kristi Charish
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal
Format: eBook

I just finished reading Owl and the Japanese Circus a week ago and went straight to the library's Overdrive web page and requested that they get a copy of the just-released sequel, Owl and the City of Angels. I thought it would take a while, but all of a sudden, I received notice that the book was being held for me to checkout.


Book Cover: Kris Longknife: Unrelenting by Mike Shepherd Title: Kris Longknife: Unrelenting
Author: Mike Shepherd
Genre: Science Fiction, Space Opera
Format: eBook

November is Sci-Fi Month, and I'm going to be reading and blogging about Science Fiction all month long. So, since there was a brand new book in one of my favorite series, I asked the library to add it to their Overdrive subscription and they did.


Book Cover: Sonoma Rose by Jennifer Chiaverini Title: Sonoma Rose
Author: Jennifer Chiaverini
Genre: Historical Fiction
Format: Hardback

I have just a couple of books left to complete the Finishing the Series reading challenge for 2015. Sonoma Rose is the 19th and next-to-last book in Jennifer Chiaverini's Elm Creek Quilts series. I have enjoyed this series very much and will be sad when I have read the final book. I can only hope that it becomes final so far and the author can be convinced to return to the characters another time.


Book Cover: The Woman Who Walked in Sunshine by Alexander McCall Smith Title: The Woman Who Walked in Sunshine
Author: Alexander McCall Smith
Genre: Contemporary Fiction, Mystery
Format: Hardback

Of all the fictional detectives that I have read about, I would most like to meet Precious Ramotswe. Her gentle philosophy of life is so appealing to me. In this installment of the popular No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, Mma Ramotswe is persuaded to take a holiday from the office. But she doesn't know how to be idle, so of course she gets involved in a couple of mysteries.


Freebies:

Book Cover: Life and Other Near-Death Experiences by Camille Pagan Title: Life and Other Near Death Experiences
Author: Camille Pagán
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Format: Kindle

Life and Other Near-Death Experiences was one of the six new books offered in October for the Kindle First program. Some months the books just knock my socks off and I find it hard to choose just one. And other months, there's only one that interests me. That was the case this month. I waited until near the end of the month to make my selection so that I would have a chance to read reviews to refine my decision.


Purchased:

Book Cover: Constitution by Nick Webb Title: Constitution
Author: Nick Webb
Genre: Science Fiction
Format: Kindle

And yes, I spent some money for a book this week. Constitution is the first in a Science Fiction trilogy which promises to be pretty good if the early reviews are to be believed. It was offered at a bargain price, so I decided to pick it up in time to read during Science Fiction month. I do hope it is as good as purported to be.


 

How about you? Any new books? You're invited to tell us all about it by joining the fun at Stacking the Shelves. According to the reviewers at Tynga's Reviews who host the meme:

Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!

Disclosure: This post contains links to an affiliate program, for which the BookObsessed online community will receive a few cents if you make purchases.

8 comments:

  1. Unrelenting sounds good. I am a big Sci-Fi fan. Thank goodness for our libraries, because I cannot possibly afford to buy all the books I read. It also gives me a chance to try books I'm not sure about without making a big output of cash. I will often find great authors at the library and then buy later books they write. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely a fan of borrowing books from the library. More than 1/2 the books I have read this year have been from the library!

      Delete
  2. You got a few books that I haven't seen or heard of. I hope you love all your new books.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of them are in series that I've been enjoying. I'm also seeing some very interesting books on other people's blogs and my list of books I want to read is getting longer and longer!

      Delete
  3. I hope you love Owl and the City of Angels..such a fun series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally expect to love it. The first book was totally engaging.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment. You certainly have a lot of books listed on your STS this week! Saw two that I quickly added to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thanks for the heads up on SciFi month and on the Kindle First. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete