Sunday, October 18, 2015

Dewey's: Wrapping it All Up

And, now as the sun rises here in Texas, another Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon has come to an end. I took more breaks this time than in years past, and I didn't even try to stay awake throughout the night. Instead, I took myself to bed and set an alarm so I'd be up and reading during the final hour.

Thanks to everyone who stopped by my blog and left some words of encouragement. It really means a lot to see those comments and know that someone actually read what I wrote. See all you Dewey folks next April.

 

Closing Survey

1) Which hour was most daunting for you?

Shortly after midnight, the beginning of the 18th hour.

2) Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?

This is such a personal choice that I'm hard-pressed to make any suggestions. I know that I pick my own reading by what I'm interested in at the moment—and that's subject to change on a whim.

3) Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?

I'm positive that no one ever reads my suggestion, however here it is again. I'd really like to see the starting time changed around. Dewey's read-a-thon always starts at 7am in Texas, making the end of the event in the wee hours of the morning. Just once, I'd like to see it start here at noon or even later so that I don't miss out on that last few intervals of the event.

4) What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?

I loved the warm-up posts on the Read-a-thon blog. It was a great encouragement to prepare for the event.

5) How many books did you read?

I completed one and a half books this time. I browsed a couple of pages in two other books as I tried to decide what would be the second book to read.

6) What were the names of the books you read?

I read Calculated in Death by J. D. Robb and half of The Door in the Hedge by Robin McKinley.

7) Which book did you enjoy most? Which did you enjoy least?

I combined these questions, because they have the same answer. I can't pick one book as favorite. I only read from two books and one wasn't enjoyed any more than the other. Perhaps I might have a better answer if I had read more books.

8)If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?

I didn't sign up as a Cheerleader this time. However, my advice for Cheerleaders is to comment frequently. The encouragement is really by a reader.

9) How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?

Oh yes! If at all possible, I plan to participate in the Read-a-thon again. I'm still leaning toward signing-up solely as a reader, but maybe it's time for me to become an official Cheerleader. We'll see in April.

Final Update

Reading Location: My house in Texas

Currently Reading: The Door in the Hedge by Robin McKinley

Book Cover: The Door in the Hedge by Robin McKinley

Total Pages read so far: 452 pages

Other Readers I have visited:
1. Shaunesay at The Space Between
2. Judith at Leeswammes' Blog
3. Michelle at Because Reading 4. Rachael at Rachael Turns Pages
5. Olduvai at Olduvai Reads

Now that the read-a-thon is over, I plan to visit the blogs of other readers and leave comments.

Mini-challenges completed: Introductory Questionnaire & Mid-event Survey & Closing Survey

Finished Books: 1 : Calculated in Death by J. D. Robb

Book Cover: Calculated in Death by J D Robb

Comments: Thoroughly enjoyed the read-a-thon. I'm looking forward to April.

4 comments:

  1. Nice job on the read-a-thon! I totally fell asleep right through the final hour, an alarm is a good idea.

    p.s. way to go on the 155 books out of 200!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for cheering me on. I found that if I don't schedule my nap, I'll just fall asleep in my chair. So taking myself to bed and setting an alarm is the best way for me to deal with the need for sleep.

      Delete
  2. I had planned to get myself up at 5 to have a couple more hours of reading, and at 4 am I just said, nope, and turned off the alarm! lol! I'm getting better at knowing my limits! I only read just over 300 pages, but I'm still happy with it, I cheered folks on, saw a great movie, and finished a book and I couple of short stories, so it was a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With age comes wisdom! That's what I tell myself when I make the sensible decision to go to bed shortly after midnight. You did very well -- 300 pages is nothing to sneeze at. I really appreciated the visits from cheerleaders, so your cheering activity was important. We'll do it again in April.

      Delete