Sunday, November 01, 2015

Sci-Fi Month 2015

The entire month of November has been designated as Sci-Fi Month by Rinn at Rinn Reads and Lisa at Over the Effing Rainbow. This is a month-long blog event to celebrate everything science fiction, and I'm going to take part.

My love affair with SF

Book Cover: Double Star by Robert A. Heinlein When I was in elementary school, I fell in love with science fiction, and I have kept it up for most of my life. I obsessively read every book I could get from my favorite authors, anxiously waiting for new releases of books that are now considered classics. Back then it was Robert Heinlein, James Blish, Andre Norton, Isaac Asimov, Frederik Pohl, Arthur C. Clarke,and so many more. Recently, I've been reading a lot of military science fiction, including David Weber's Honor Harrington series and Mike Shepherd's Kris Longknife novels.

Sci-Fi Month at Reading in Texas

It remains to be seen how much time I can dedicated to blogging this month. As part of October's Blog Ahead Challenge, I did get some posts written and scheduled for November.

Every Tuesday, my post will cover an online science fiction magazine. For those who just cannot get enough SF, these online magazines provide an extra dose or two. I was able to write a couple of reviews that I'll scatter throughout the month, and I plan to produce a list of interesting SF books I find on the shelves at my local public library. I'll also be reading at least one SF book per week and posting a review. Two of these are recent releases: Kris Longknife: Unrelenting by Mike Shepherd and This Gulf of Time and Stars by Julie Czerneda. The others may be classics borrowed from the library—I haven't exactly made up my mind, yet.

Book Cover: Kris Longknife: Unrelenting by Mike Shepherd Book Cover: This Gulf of Time and Stars by Julie E. Czerneda

6 comments:

  1. You know I love science fiction and I don't read nearly enough.Glad you had fun with Blog Ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have fun and will participate the next time you run it. SF was my "go to" for so long and then I couldn't find new books that I liked and I found myself reading more mysteries (particularly cozies). And then a friend introduced me to Paranormal and Urban Fantasy! So much fun, Sci-Fi Month is going to be a good time to refocus on a genre that I enjoy so much.

      Delete
  2. Have fun with Sci Fi month, looking forward to seeing your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes -- the reviews. I love reading but find that writing the review is such a chore. I've defaulted to mini reviews in my weekly summary for all books other than ARCs. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  3. Welcome to SFM, glad to see you taking part :D However much or little you can post this month, all contributions will be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to reading the posts on everyone's blogs. Down side, of course, is that I'm likely to discover books that I want to read and then my wishlist will just get longer and longer.

      Delete