Saturday, October 10, 2015

Stacking the Shelves (52)

This week was a bit weird when it came to new books. First of all, I've been away from home all week and won't return to Texas for another week. So I'm reading whatever happens to be on my Kindle. However, last week, I put a HOLD on the next two In Death books at the library thinking like the previous book, I'd have to wait the full 21 day checkout period before they became available. On Sunday, I received notice that both were ready for download. I had already downloaded one book, and that gave me three new library books to read. And then last night, I received a notice that the library had purchased The Aeronaut's Windlass on my recommendation and it was being held for me. Of course I downloaded it right away. I'm just lucky that the library gives me a 21 day check-out period.

From the library:

Book Cover: Delusion in Death by J. D. Robb Book Cover: Calculated in Death by J. D. Robb As I said above, I put holds on these two books in J. D. Robb's Eve Dallas, In Death mystery series. They popped up available on Sunday, so I downloaded them. Delusion in Death starts out in a Manhattan bar frequented by many of the young people working in the advertising and financial companies nearby. Someone releases a vapor which combines LSD with several potent but illegal drugs—a cocktail guaranteed to cause hallucinations along with extreme aggression and violence. Eve and her team rush to solve the murder of 80 innocents before the killer can strike again. Calculated in Death moves from the crazed but brilliant scientist theme to a scheming and plotting criminal using murder in an attempt to prevent his other crimes from coming to light. I'm having such a good time reading through a number of the In Death books this year and getting to see the relationship between Eve and Roarke deepen and mature.


Book Cover: Owl and the Japanese Circus by Kristi Charish Months and months ago, I requested that my library add a copy of Owl and the Japanese Circus to their Overdrive subscription. When they did so, and informed me that it was available for check-out, I was so overloaded with review deadlines that I simply couldn't do it justice. This week, with a number of books on hold, and this one available, I borrowed it from the library, not anticipating that the others would be returned so quickly by the previous borrower(s).

Owl and the Japanese Circus combines mystery and the paranormal with a new twist on a genre which has, in many cases, run its course. Alix is a former archeologist now a thief of antiquities. She has assiduously avoided any entanglement with the supernatural until she is hired by a dragon to retrieve an object stolen over 3000 years before. This is the first book in Kristi Chardish's new urban fantasy series with the second due out next January.


Book Cover: The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher All my online book groups are all agog over The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher, the first in a new steampunk series. When I checked its availability at my local library, I saw that it wasn't in their collection, so I submitted a request that they add it to their Overdrive subscription. They did, and as the requester, I was given first dibs to borrow it. I downloaded it last night and will turn to it as soon as I can—after I finish reading the books borrowed ahead of it.

Mixing magic and a steampunk-ish technology, The Aeronaut's Windlass begins a series known as Cinder Spires. The Spires are city-states housed in mile-tall towers above a mist-shrouded world. Each spire is ruled by an aristocratic family and conflicts exist between the various spires as they compete in science, trading, and transportation. Fleets of airships ply the aether between the spires, all powered by magical energy crystals.


 

How about you? Any new books? You're invited to tell us all about it by joining the fun at Stacking the Shelves. According to the reviewers at Tynga's Reviews who host the meme:

Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!

 

Disclosure: This post contains links to an affiliate program, for which the BookObsessed online community will receive a few cents if you make purchases.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the In Death series. They're actually a series I'm collecting in print copy. However... I got the first 12 and then the place I was buying them stopped stocking them, but I also have the last half a dozen or so.

    Sadly I'll need to wait until my financial situation improves before I search for more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have some of the paperbacks that you are missing. If you're open to gently read copies, I'll look through my shelves and see what I have to share. Hubby will be thrilled if I mail off some of the books cluttering up the house.

      Delete
  2. Been curious about the new Jim Butcher. Hope it's good. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete