Sunday, November 02, 2014

Sunday Summary: 2 November 2014

Another Sunday marks the end/beginning of another week. Though I didn't have time to post much to the blog, I have been reading in most of my free time. I'm linking up with The Sunday Post, hosted by Kimba @ The Caffeinated Book Reviewer.

Where I've been reading

This week, I spent a lot of time reading in the car—well, actually listening to audio books in the car. I had to commute to the office three days, a round trip of about 100 miles each day. So, I brought audio CDs with me and listened as I tried to not worry about the construction zones, rush hour traffic, and whether or not I'd get to the office on time. Once I was done commuting, I used my spare time to read a couple of library books; one hardback and the others on my Kindle.

What I've been reading

Book Cover: My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares Format: Audio CD
Source: purchased in September 2014
Completed: 28 October

In early September, I stumbled across a great sale on used audio CDs at Crackerbarrel. My Name is Memory was one of the three that I purchased and the first one that I've listened to.

Daniel is one of the very few people who remember all of their past lives. In his first lifetime, he met Sofia and in every subsequent life, he searches for her. For over 1000 years, he's never been able to build a life with her. Either they are drastically different ages, she's married to someone else, or he simply doesn't find her. Until 2004 when he finally winds up in the same town at about the same age as Lucy—the current incarnation of Sofia, though she doesn't recognize Daniel at all. Unfortunately, he scares her off with his intense pursuit. Thus begins a five year campaign to win her heart.

An intriguing story of star-crossed lovers, I recommend it for both the creative plot and the appealing characters. This one wins 4 stars from me—it would have gotten 5 stars if the ending had been conclusive. ★★★★☆

Book Cover: W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton Format: Kindle
Source: library via Overdrive
Completed: 29 October

I was tickled pink when I received an e-mail notice that the reserve I had placed on Sue Grafton's W is for Wasted had come up and the book was ready for download. I started reading it right away and finished it this week.

Kinsey Millhone is shocked when she discovers that she has living relatives on her father's side of the family—and one of them has left her half a million dollars in his will! Raised as an orphan by her mother's sister, and estranged from the rest of her mother's family, Kinsey had presumed that none of her father's family were still alive. Not only has she inherited a small fortune, but the bequest came to her when her cousin disinherited his own kids. So, while she has family, there's not going to be a happy reunion.

This latest installment in Grafton's Alphabet Mysteries was an excellent story. Unfortunately, I'm all caught up with the published books and will have to wait until X is available. Four stars. ★★★★☆

Book Cover: The Handsome Man's De Luxe Cafe by Alexander McCall Smith Format: Hardback
Source: Sanger Public Library
Completed: 31 October

When I stopped by the library about two weeks ago to pick up V is for Vengeance, I asked if the library had placed an order for The Handsome Man's De Luxe Cafe, due to be released on 28 October. The librarian consulted her list, told me that it was on its way, and I asked to be put on the reserve list for it. It was such a surprise to receive the e-mail notification that the book was available on the morning of the 28th. I picked it up right away, and started reading it as soon as I finished W is for Wasted.

Grace Makutsi has returned to work after the birth of her son, but she has even bigger ideas—she's opening a restaurant. In the meantime, Precious Ramotswe has taken on a case to discover the identity of a woman with amnesia, and Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni has had to lay off one of his apprentice mechanics when business takes a down turn. With gentle determination, Mma Ramotswe sorts though all of these challenges and brings everything to a satisfactory conclusion. This book rates five stars. ★★★★★

Book Cover: Bertie's Guide to Life and Mothers by Alexander McCall Smith Book Cover: Nightmares! by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller As soon as I finished My Name is Memory, I started listening to Bertie's Guide to Life and Mothers. This is the ninth book in Alexander McCall Smith's 44 Scotland Street series and has not yet been released in the USA. I saw that the hardback, paperback, and Kindle editions were published in the UK in 2013, and the audio book was released in August 2014, I ordered a copy over the Internet and had it shipped to a friend's house in the UK. Since starting the book on the 28th, I'm now in the middle of disk 7 out of 8.

I have to say that I'm gobsmacked over Nightmares! by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller. I was able to check the eBook out of the library as soon as it showed up in the catalog. I had seen an interview with Segel and the book sounded interesting. It's simply amazing. I'm ½ way into the book and likely to finish it later today or perhaps tomorrow.

This Week on the Blog

Another week with very few posts. Not only did I work all week long, but I had the commute to the office for three days. That left me with little time to read and even less time to write posts.

  1. #WWReadathon: 2014 Summary post
  2. Stacking the Shelves (10)

8 comments:

  1. Some fun books this week. My mother is up to V in Grafton's books. She gets frustrated about ever ending the collection because sometimes there's more than one book with the same letter.LOL
    I just won some audio books and will start listening to them at work this week. Someone recommended the idea and I think it will work great, the books and the job.LOL
    Here's my Sunday Post - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/11/02/whats-new-on-my-bookshelf-85-and-the-sunday-post/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could listen at work, but that's not possible. Currently, I only listen when I'm alone in the car and that's not very often, so an audiobook can take me months to complete. Heading over to check your site.

      Delete
  2. Thank God for Audio books :) Hope this week will be nothing but amazing for you!

    Here's mine:
    NYZE@everythingnyze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I see that you've posted quite a lot to your blog this week. I can't seem to make enough time to post every day.

      Delete
  3. You're definitely getting some reading time. What a way to make your commute go by faster! I'm curious about My Name is Memory. I read a previous book by this author and while I found it really readable the plot didn't work for me. This sounds like I'd really enjoy it. I need to go back and finish the Kinsey Milhone series. I got pretty far into them and then kind of quit. They were always great reads though. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I *love* the name of your blog. I also wish I lived in a library -- with no responsibilities at all.

      Ann Brashares is best known as the author of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and its sequels. I did enjoy My Name is Memory, but it ends on a wishful note rather than a clear resolution. It left me hungry ... and I suppose she could resolve that by writing a sequel.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear that Nightmares is good. I wish I'd gotten to meet Jason Segel at BEA this summer.
    Check out my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey -- thanks for dropping by. Nightmares! was magnificent. Pick up a copy wherever you can -- you won't be disappointed.

      Delete