Saturday, November 15, 2014

Stacking the Shelves (12)

Oh my! After posting last week's Stacking the Shelves, I went crazy buying books. I received the monthly newsletter from Phoenix Pick telling me about this month's free book, The Mutant Season by Robert Silverberg and Karen Haber. Along with the freebie was the opportunity to purchase the entire Fire in Winter series at a discount. I took them up on the offer!

The four books of the Fire in Winter series aren't new. The books were released between 1989 and 1992, and have been difficult to find in print. I know that I read at least the first two books many years ago and then re-read The Mutant Season in the summer of 2010. I've had the rest of the books—The Mutant Prime, Mutant Star, and Mutant Legacy—on my wishlist, hoping they'd be released as eBooks. Finally, they were picked up by Phoenix Pick, an imprint of Arc Manor, which is re-printing many classic SF books.

Book Cover: The Mutant Season by Robert Silverberg and Karen Haber Book Cover: The Mutant Prime by Karen Haber Book Cover: Mutant Star by Karen Haber Book Cover: Mutant Legacy by Karen Haber

I also took advantage of a couple of Read Now books at NetGalley. So, my queue of read-and-review books has grown a little bit longer. Both of the books I selected are by authors I'm already familiar with. First is The Here and Now by Ann Brashares. The story promises romance, pandemic illness, and time-traveling teens. The other book is The Root of All Evil, a new title in the Hope Street Church mystery series by Ellery Adams and Elizabeth Lockard. I read the first three books in November and December 2010. Now there's a new episode and the original books have been updated and re-released.

Book Cover: The Here and Now by Ann Brashares Book Cover: The Root of All Evil by Ellery Adams and Elizabeth Lockard

So how did you do this week? Any new books? You're invited to tell us all about it by joining the fun at Stacking the Shelves. According to the reviewers at Tynga's Reviews who host the meme:

Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!

8 comments:

  1. Stormi - thanks for stopping by. Having broken my own rule for not buying books this year, I'm definitely going to enjoy these books. I may feel guilty while I'm reading, but I'll enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice haul! I hope you enjoy your new books.

    Happy reading. Sharon – Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fire in Winter series are definitely a guilty pleasure. I'm going to *so* enjoy reading them.

      Delete
  3. Nice haul! Enjoy your new books!

    Come and check out OUaT's STS !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. It is a nice haul. I know that I can't keep this pace, though. If books keep coming in this fast, I'll never break through the backlog. Fortunately, the two review books don't require an immediate review.

      Delete
  4. I received The Here and Now back a few weeks ago in the mail, excited for it. :)

    Here's mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see that you are reading a lot of YA -- in fact, Magonia (why do I keep wanting to read this as Mongolia or Magnolia?) looks really good. It will be fun to compare our thoughts on The Here and Now.

      Delete