Sunday, November 30, 2014

Sunday Summary: 30 November 2014

Since it was Thanksgiving week, I had intended to spend time on the blog—instead I just goofed off. I did read quite a bit, but totally ignored the blog. I'm linking up with The Sunday Post, hosted by Kimba @ The Caffeinated Book Reviewer.

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on the blog, showcase books and things received. Share news about what is coming up on the blog for the week ahead.


Where I've been reading

Because it was Thanksgiving week, I was at home all week and had three full days off of work, giving me a five-day weekend! I had thought I'd use some of this time to get ahead with blog posts. Instead, I found other things to do. I did read—quite a bit since there was a read-a-thon going on over at BookObsessed. I also caught up on some recorded TV episodes, added a few rows to the sweater I'm knitting, and celebrated Thanksgiving with my kids. Once again, kid #1 hosted the family at his house. I roasted the turkey, my mother-in-law brought the pumpkin pie, and his wife and mother-in-law took care of everything else.

This was the last week that I'll be home until just before Christmas. I have trips planned for the next three weeks: Omaha, Louisville, and NYC. I will enjoy having the time in transit to read.

What I've been reading

Book Cover: A Rising Thunder by David Weber Format: eBook
Source: purchased from Baen eBooks
Completed: 27 November

★★★☆☆

It took me just over a week to read A Rising Thunder It's the 13th book in David Weber's Honor Harrington military science fiction series. The story ended on a cliff-hanger, so I'm confident there will be another book. Sometime. Not soon. It doesn't appear to be on Baen's publication schedule for early 2015. I do have one more book in the Honorverse to read—Shadow of Freedom, from the Saganami Island series. And, there is one other Honorverse book available, this one in the Crown of Slaves series.

I really enjoyed reading A Rising Thunder and am feeling a little bit anxious about having to wait for the next book. Maybe I ought to find a nice long series that's complete so I don't wind up in suspense for the story to continue.


Book Cover: The Glass Magician by Charlie N Holmberg Format: eGalley
Source: review book from NetGalley
Completed: 30 November

★★★★☆

The Glass Magician picks up shortly after the events of The Paper Magician. Ceony Twill is continuing her studies with Magician Thane and seems to be on track to pass her certification exams as a Folder (a magician bound to paper) after two years of apprenticeship. While on a field trip with other magician apprentices, the paper factory they are visiting is bombed by a notorious Excisioner (a practitioner of blood magic). When it becomes evident that Ceony is the target of a pair of evil magicians, her teachers rally to protect her, but Ceony resents being left out of the plans to capture them. So, she charges out to solve things on her own.

I don't even know how to begin to tell you how much I enjoyed The Glass Magician. I guess the 4-star rating tells you something. I saw reviews which criticized the fact that Ceony makes bad decisions which put her at risk, but really, that's what the book is all about. A young woman taking matters into her own hands.

Book Cover: Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson Book Cover: Jinx High by Mercedes Lackey I'm still listening to Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. I listened for almost three hours this week as I drove to and from my grandson's house and ran a few errands. I anticipate finishing the book next week since I'll be driving from airport to hotel to customer location to airport. I have about 2 hours and 20 minutes left in the book. I'm loving it and just now spent a credit at Audible to get the next in the series.

I started reading Jinx High by Mercedes Lackey. It's the last book in her Diana Tregarde paranormal investigator series. Lackey originally published these books in 1989-1991, and I think it is probably one of the very first “urban fantasy” series.

This Week on the Blog

'Twas a bleak week on the blog. As I said above, I had good intentions, but I simply got busy and didn't take the time to prepare any posts. I did upload a Stacking the Shelves post since I picked up a couple of books from the library.

  1. Stacking the Shelves (13)

3 comments:

  1. Catching up on things is always lovely. We decorated for the holiday and did a lot of the same.Dress Warm it is cold here in Omaha :) Safe traveling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're in Omaha. It's gotten cold here in Texas today, but they say it will warm up a bit by the end of the week. I'm planning on bringing my heavy coat. Fortunately I'm only going to be up north for 2 days.

      Delete