Friday, November 14, 2014

Book Blogger Hop: 14-20 November 2014

Book Blogger Hop

It's been ages and ages since I participated in a Book Blogger Hop. Over the twelve years that this blog has been in existence, this is actually one of the most pleasurable activities. Now it's time for me to rejoin the group of book bloggers in this weekly event.

Elizabeth at Silver's Reviews posed this week's question for Book Blogger Hop:

As you grow in your blogging experience, have you become more particular in terms of what you will post on your blog or what books you will read for review on your blog?

To be honest, I've had several false starts with this blog. I had great aspirations to be a cracker-jack book reviewer. I love to read. I love to talk about the books I'm reading. However, I found that writing reviews reminded me too much of school and the dreaded book report. So, the blog has languished from time to time. I mostly posted personal things about reading—the occasional list of books read, participation in various read-a-thons, and the sporadic posts spurred by reading memes like Teaser Tuesday.

A couple of months ago, I made another effort to revitalize the blog. I committed to weekly updates with Sunday Summary posts and I signed up at NetGalley to receive Advance Reader Copies. Now, I know that I could write reviews of the books I read as I read them, but I knew from past experience that it's too easy to just stop writing reviews. So, by signing up at NetGalley, there's a commitment to the authors and publishers who provide the ARCs of books. By accepting a free book, I promise to deliver an honest review. By adding the aspect of accountability, I think I won't be so likely to avoid the reviews.

Back to the question—since this blog is simply about books and reading, I haven't needed to restrict what I post. And, I'd love to be in the position where authors come to me asking me to read and review. But since I'm the one requesting books to review, I get to be particular up front. I simply don't ask for books that I'm not interested in. That means, it's highly unlikely you'll see reviews of romance or chick-lit novels, horror novels, short stories, or self-help books.

Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Billy at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.

8 comments:

  1. NetGalley is dangerous but I love it. I've discovered some great books with it. Good luck with the reviewing accountability. It's so easy to just not. I have found that trying to get my ratio up does make me better about getting the reviews done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. I've recently seen a couple of ARCs offered in series that are personal favorites, so I want to get my ratio up high enough that a publisher won't turn me down. Right now, I've been selecting books with pub dates in December through February, and most of those have asked that I hold my review until 2 weeks before publication. So they are showing a pending in my dashboard.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are back with us on the Book Blogger Hop.

    Welcome Back!!

    I think this is a very fun meme too. I love the answers, and today's question definitely is getting a lot of wonderful, thoughtful answers.

    I am VERY particular about what goes on my blog. :)

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome; it's fun visiting all the other book bloggers to see what they've been reading and reviewing. While I'm also particular about what goes on the blog, I don't think that the things I'm particular about have changed much -- if you get what I mean.

      Delete
  4. If it makes you feel any better, I have also felt the dread in writing a review as it does remind me of the typical book review requested of us in school!

    But, I love words and I love sharing my thoughts; maybe I've finally matured? Ha ha!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you said that, Claudia. When I read reviews on other blogs, it all seems so easy. It's nice to know that no matter how simple it appears from the outside that others struggle to get reviews written.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. NetGalley is definitely a great way to make sure you review, but I am soo bad at restraint so I tend to request EVERYTHING and am currently terribly behind! But I do recognize the dreaded book report feeling :) Thanks for stopping by, hope you have a great weekend!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weekend was great. Had to return to work today. Luckily, things were a little bit slow -- probably because of the pending holidays. This evening I'll be writing reviews!

      Delete