Saturday, May 30, 2015

Stacking the Shelves (34)

I try, I really do try, but books call out to me. I have more than enough books on hand to supply reading material for the rest of my expected life. But I cannot resist a new book. This week, I broke down and spent a little bit of the gift card money on a cozy mystery and the rest of the books were free: two picked up from the library and the others free copies to keep.


Borrowed from the library:

Book Cover: The Black Lung Captain by Chris Wooding At the end of December, I read the first of the Ketty Jay novels, Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding. At that time, I submitted a request that the library add the rest of the series to their Overdrive subscription. Now, The Black Lung Captain is available, and I'm following through and have borrowed it. I have three weeks to read it before it disappears from my Kindle.


Book Cover: Notes from the Internet Apocalypse by Wayne Gladstone Imagine waking up one day to discover that the Internet doesn't work. Unthinkable. I go through withdrawal if my ISP is unavailable for 30 minutes. I can't imagine it being gone forever. Well, that's the premise of Gladstone's novel, Notes from the Internet Apocalypse. I saw that a sequel is coming out at the end of July and just knew that I wanted to read the first book as soon as possible. The library requested a copy from another library in the consortium and it's now in my hands.


Purchased (gift card):

Book Cover: Murder Simply Brewed by Vannetta Chapman I couldn't help myself. When I saw that the price of Murder Simply Brewed had dropped to $1.99 for the Kindle edition, I just had to buy it. I've read the second and third books in the Amish Village series—thank you NetGalley—and I really wanted to read the book that started the whole thing.

Amber Wright is the manager of a complex of Amish shops. When the store manager at the coffee shop is found dead on the floor of the shop, she wonders if he really had a heart attack or whether his death is somehow connected to the vandalism going on.


Freebies:

Book Cover: Festive in Death by J D Robb As I was waiting for my suitcase to come up on the luggage carrousel at DFW, a woman offered me the paperback book she had just finished reading—Festive in Death by J. D. Robb. Although I'm not ready to read this 39th volume of the In Death series (I have read the first 25), I took the book to add to the massive TBR stacks at my house. The challenge is to be able to put my hands on it in 3 years when it's time to read this episode in the saga of police lieutenant Eve Dallas.


Book Cover: X: A Novel by Ilyasah Shabazz and Kekla Magoon Last week, the free audiobooks from SYNC were all about Charles Dickens. This week, they're about Harlem. The YA selection is X: A Novel by Ilyasah Shabazz and Kekla Magoon. Shabazz is the daughter of Malcolm X and has gathered the stories told by her father and weaved them into a novel that focuses mainly on the teenage years of his life. Though the account is fiction, it holds true to the time and the man.


Book Cover: Here in Harlem: Poems in Many Voices by Walter Dean Myers The companion classic is Here in Harlem: Poems in Many Voices by Walter Dean Myers. True to the title, the fifty-four poems in this collection are read by a cast of thirteen narrators. The publisher says the poems are “all in different voices but written by one hand”. Inspired by Spoon River Anthology, the author honors the people of his hometown, Harlem.


 

How about you? Any new books? You're invited to tell us all about it by joining the fun at Stacking the Shelves. According to the reviewers at Tynga's Reviews who host the meme:

Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!

Disclosure: This post contains links to an affiliate program, for which the BookObsessed online community will receive a few cents if you make purchases.

2 comments:

  1. Great haul this week! I've not heard of any of them but I hope you enjoy everything. (:
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're all quite obscure other than the J. D. Robb "In Death" book. I'm sure I will enjoy them when I find time to schedule them in. Obviously the library books are at the top of the stack!

      Delete