Monday, May 18, 2015

Bout of Books: Progress

Bout of Books Well, another Bout of Books has come to an end. My personal schedule didn't allow me to be as social as I would have liked, but it was still enjoyable to be part of the event. I did complete three books this week—The Devil's Novice by Ellis Peters, A Nomadic Witch by Debora Geary, and The Firebird Mystery by Darrell Pitt.


 

Daily status

Monday, 11 May

Monday was the first day of a conference in Las Vegas where I was speaking. I got a quick start on Bout of Books by taking my Kindle to bed with me around 1 am. Read about 10 pages before it fell out of my hands. Then I got in some reading time in the evening after the conference day had ended.

Number of books I've read today: 2
Number of pages I've read today: 88
Total number of pages read: 88
Number of books completed today: 0
Total number of books completed: 0

Tuesday, 12 May

Tuesday was a very busy day at the conference. Although I didn't have any presentations to give, I had several meetings with customers and a couple of technical presentations that I wanted to see. After a long day, hubby and I went out gor dinner, getting back to the hotel around 8 pm. I only managed to squeeze in 47 pages all day long, but there will be better days.

Number of books I've read today: 2
Number of pages I've read today: 47
Total number of pages read: 135
Number of books completed today: 0
Total number of books completed: 0

Wednesday, 13 May

Wednesday was almost as busy as Tuesday. I was run ragged at the conference with two sessions to deliver. Then I went to dinner with my team including our manager. Lovely dinner, but it did take away time from reading. And after getting back to the hotel after supper, I had to do some programming. So it was after midnight before I found time to read again. (And that meant it was Day 4 of Bout of Books.)

Number of books I've read today: 1
Number of pages I've read today: 59
Total number of pages read: 194
Number of books completed today: 0
Total number of books completed: 0

Thursday, 14 May

Finally! I finished a book. I didn't have very many more pages to read, but it just gives me such a feeling of accomplishment to finish the book. I'm really looking forward to the next couple of days on the road to give me some much-missed uninterrupted reading time.

Number of books I've read today: 2
Number of pages I've read today: 74
Total number of pages read: 268
Number of books completed today: 1
Total number of books completed: 1

Friday, 15 May

On Friday I spent much of the day reading. We drove from Las Vegas, Nevada, to Albuquerque, New Mexico. I started a new book first thing in the morning and finished it just before crawling into the bed. So, I'm adding A Nomadic Witch to the list of completed books. I didn't however, make any further progress in The Firebird Mystery.

Number of books I've read today: 1
Number of pages I've read today: 262
Total number of pages read: 530
Number of books completed today: 1
Total number of books completed: 2

Saturday, 16 May

Saturday was the second day of our road trip, but I didn't read as many pages as I had expected. There were two contributing factors. First, I napped all morning long. No sooner would I read a couple of sentences than I'd be sound asleep. Then, after I fully awakened, I wound up browsing through a cook book for an hour or more. Even with that, I finally made some significant progress in The Firebird Mystery. My Kindle tells me that I'm about 56% through the book and I expect to finish in on Sunday.

Number of books I've read today: 1
bumber of pages I've read today: 83
Total number of pages read: 613
Number of books completed today: 0
Total number of books completed: 2

Sunday, 17 May

Home at last, it was a very lazy day. I had a bit of Internet “stuff” to catch up on, but otherwise I took the time to read throughout the day. I was able to complete reading The Firebird Mystery and started into Jack Staples and the Poet's Storm before bedtime.

Number of books I've read today: 2
bumber of pages I've read today: 121
Total number of pages read: 734
Number of books completed today: 1
Total number of books completed: 3

Currently reading

Book Cover: Jack Staples and the Poet's Storm by Mark Batterson and Joel N Clark I am just a short way into Jack Staples and the Poet's Storm, the final book in a allegorical trilogy for young adults. I was provided an advance copy by the publisher, David C. Cook, for review. Having read the first two parts earlier this year, I was eager to read the conclusion and to see how things would work out as the forces of the Assassin wage war against the Author and Awakened.


Books completed

Book Cover: The Devil's Novice by Ellis Peters Book Cover: A Nomadic Witch by Debora Geary Book Cover: The Firebird Mystery by Darrell Pitt

4 comments:

  1. The Firebird Mystery does look fun! Glad you could join us again, and Happy Belated Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of Saturday evening, I'm now 1/2 way through The Firebird Mystery. I'm enjoying it.

      Delete
  2. I've never actually done a bout of books before but you make it look so fun so I definitely might do it at some point!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lara, I have found Bout of Books to be one of the most fun read-a-thons. The organizers do so much to interact with the participants. I really feel like I'm part of something rather than just reading by myself. Join us in August!

      Delete