Saturday, May 02, 2015

Stacking the Shelves (30)

I continue to fight the urge to spend money on books. Fortunately, I still have a balance left from the gift cards I received for Christmas, and this week I bought a book printed on paper! That's the first one in 2015—all other purchases have been e-Books. And, just after I left town, I received notice that two library books I had requested were now available for pick-up. Hubby went by the library on Friday afternoon and checked them out for me; now let's see if I can get both read before we leave for Las Vegas on the 7th.


Purchased (gift card):

Book Cover: A Taste of Cowboy by Kent Rollins Hubby was watching CBS Sunday Morning and an article on Cowboy cook Kent Rollins. They showed a copy of the cookbook he's published and hubby suggested that we should buy it. So I did.

To be honest, I think that what got him so interested was the featured recipe for Sparklin' Tates, potatoes cooked in Sprite instead of oil. I could have told him that the recipe was available online, but I didn't. Instead, I bought the book!


From the library:

Book Cover: Death of a Hussy by M C Beaton I'm resuming my reading of M. C. Beaton's Hamish MacBeth mysteries. Death of a Hussy is the fifth volume in Beaton's long-running series. It was originally published in 1990, and the 31st book, Death of a Liar was published about 3 months ago. I don't expect to finish the series this year, but I will keep reading steadily since I'm really enjoying the stories set in a small Scottish village.


Book Cover: The Witch With No Name by Kim Harrison The back cover says, “After ten years and thirteen adventures, at last the triumphant conclusion to Kim Harrison's #1 New York Times bestselling Hollows series!” and I just want to shout “NO”. Rachel Morgan is one amazing character. I'm hoping that in The Witch With No Name, she gets to have her happy ending.

I've been wanting to read this book for quite a while but my library didn't buy a copy, and the libraries in our consortium won't send it out until it's been on their shelves for 6 months. At last I've been able to get a copy and I'll read it very fast.


Freebie:

Book Cover: Boundary Crossing by Melissa F. Olson I almost let April end without making my selection from this month's Kindle First offering. From a set of four soon-to-be published books, Amazon Prime members get to pick one book to add to their library. I selected Boundary Crossing by Melissa F. Olson, first book in her Boundary Magic series. “After her twin sister’s brutal murder, former US Army Sergeant Allison ‘Lex’ Luther vowed to protect her niece, Charlie. So when two vampires try to kidnap the baby, it quickly turns into a fight to the death—Lex’s death, that is.”


 

How about you? Any new books? You're invited to tell us all about it by joining the fun at Stacking the Shelves. According to the reviewers at Tynga's Reviews who host the meme:

Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!

Disclosure: This post contains links to an affiliate program, for which the BookObsessed online community will receive a few cents if you make purchases.

9 comments:

  1. You can't beat a bit of Beaton to cheer yourself up. Here are my new additions: https://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/05/02/stacking-the-shelves-may-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaton is indeed a cheerful read. After finishing the Poor Relations series, I decided I'd plunge back into Hamish MacBeth.

      Delete
  2. A lot of these are ones that I hadn't heard of before. The cooking books look so very interesting. Hope you love all your new books.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it's funny that hubby wanted me to order the cookbook. He's usually complaining that I own too many of them and we still eat out too much! Thanks from dropping by.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these but I have heard of the last book you received. Happy reading!

    Tina, The Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you visited my blog today. I stopped by your blog and saw how many new books you have received. Looks like we are both going to have a good time reading.

      Delete
  4. Oh, if I were honest, I'd say that one reason why I visit other people's blogs is *because* I haven't read the books that they have posted. They introduce me to stories and authors that I might not have heard of otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great haul, I hope you enjoy them and have a great week!

    Diane @ Diane's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I read the two library books in a hurry because I needed to return them before I headed out of town. I'm glad you stopped by.

      Delete