Saturday, January 03, 2015

Stacking the Shelves (17)

When I agreed to review A String of Beads, the new Jane Whitefield mystery by Thomas Perry, I thought I had read all of the series up to that point. But I discovered that I had missed one book, so I dashed out to the library to pick up a copy of Poison Flower to squeeze in before I read and reviewed the newest book. This is one of my favorite mystery series and in 1999 it appeared to have come to an end. But, the author simply took a 10-year break and new books appeared in 2010, 2012, and now 2015.

As the end of the month drew near, I realized that I had not yet chosen one of the Kindle First books offered by Amazon. This program highlights four pre-publication books and offers them at a significant discount for one month. Amazon customers who have signed up for a Prime membership get one of the four for free. Since my Prime membership offers me very little benefit when it comes to eBooks, I certainly didn't want to pass up a free one. This month I selected a mystery, Fatal Puzzle.

Another borrowed book is from the Kindle Lending Library, which lets Amazon Prime members borrow one book each month. Like with the Kindle First program, I must make a selection before the end of the month, or simply pass on that benefit for the month. I wasn't willing to do this, so I selected A Modern Witch by Debora Geary, the first in her Modern Witch series. There are five more books in the series if I like this one.

Book Cover: Poison Flower by Thomas Perry Book Cover: Fatal Puzzle by Catherine Shepherd Book Cover: A Modern Witch by Debora Geary

So how did you do this week? Any new books? You're invited to tell us all about it by joining the fun at Stacking the Shelves. According to the reviewers at Tynga's Reviews who host the meme:

Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment