Sunday, May 13, 2012

Bout of Books: Starting Position

In just one hour, the 4th Bout of Books read-a-thon will be starting. Well, at least it starts for me in about an hour. The official schedule is “from 12:01am on Monday, May 14th through 11:59pm Sunday, May 20st in whatever time zone you are in”.

I had planned to be reading two books which I owe to Lori, a fellow BookCrosser. But, I went and finished them this weekend! So instead, I'm leading off with Changeless by Gail Carriger, the second book in her steampunk paranormal series, The Parasol Protectorate. This is paperback book that I owe to a BookCrosser from a swap at BookObsessed. I'll be mailing it to Wendy along with the next two books in the series.

On my Kindle, I'll be reading Storm From the Shadows by David Weber. This is the fourteenth novel set in the Honorverse, the universe of Honor Harrington. I started reading this series in 2008, but after reading the first three books, I moved on to something else. Then, in 2011, I read eight more novels and seventeen short stories. I'm hoping to finish reading all the available books and short stories by the end of the year. Of course, in March Weber released yet-another novel featuring Dame Harrington, so it's likely that I'll be picking this series up again in a couple of years.

And just in case I'm caught out and about without a book or my Kindle, I'm reading Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon in the Kindle app on my Blackberry. I picked up this first book in Kenyon's Entire and the Rose quartet as a freebie at Amazon.com back in 2010. It's still free! So far, I've read the first 35 pages (of 453) and I'm enjoying it very much.

2 comments:

  1. Changeless looks really good. I keep meaning to start that series but I never get around to it. Love the cover on Bright of the Sky. I've heard of the Honor Harrington books before but I've never been overly into Science Fiction, like the heavy traveling around in space ships type, so I've never actually read it. Anyway, Good luck with your goals and Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can get your hands on the Parasol Protectorate series (Soulless and its sequels), do so. Excellent steam punk fantasy. The Honor Harrington series is definitely "traveling around in space ships". Basically, Weber creates huge navies fighting in space instead of on the oceans. The series follows Honor' naval career -- though in Storm from the Shadows Honor is a minor player.

      Delete