Sunday, September 20, 2015

Sunday Summary: 20 September 2015

Where I've been reading

This week was marked by a business trip to Raleigh. All-in-all it was an easy excursion with non-stop flights on Monday and Wednesday. I used my in-flight time well, reading for most of the trip. Unfortunately, I found very little time to read the rest of the week. I listened to another couple of hours of Fire with Fire while I was in the car, but otherwise, I made little progress reading until I returned home.

 

What I've been reading: Completed this week

Book Cover: Jade Dragon Mountain by Elsa Hart Jade Dragon Mountain
by Elsa Hart
Format: eBook
Source: borrowed from library via Overdrive
Completed: 16 September

★★★★☆

Excellent murder mystery! Set in the early part of the eighteenth century, Li Du is a wandering scholar. Exiled from the capital city, he arrives in a remote province where his cousin serves as magistrate. Although Li Du had left the capital in disgrace, his cousin is willing to allow him to stay in the provincial mansion for a couple of days. Other guest in the mansion are two Jesuit scientists and an ambassador to the emperor from the East India Company. When an elderly Jesuit is found dead, Li Du is determined to find out who killed him and why.


Book Cover: Fires of Invention by J. Scott Savage Fires of Invention
by J. Scott Savage
Format: eBook
Source: eGalley ARC from NetGalley
Completed: 18 September

★★★★☆

Trenton lives in Cove, a city buried within a mountain. Trenton has always been taught that Cove was founded when pollution poisoned the air and made life outside the mountain impossible. The citizens of Cove are committed to avoid technological advances. In fact, “creative” and “inventive” are two of the worst insults in Cove.

When Trenton meets Kallista, the daughter of infamous creative criminal Leo Babbage, his life takes a dramatic change. As Trenton and Kallista follow clues left by Leo, they learn more and more of the truth about the founding of Cove, and life in Cove may never be the same again.


What I've been reading: In progress

Book Cover: Fire with Fire by by Charles Gannon The audiobook I'm listening to is Fire with Fire. The Kindle book was free in June and I was able to purchase the audiobook at a big discount from Audible. It's a science fiction book with cryogenics, planetary exploration, potential native sapient species, corporate corruption, and a space military. It's a very long book (over 18 hours of audio) and very engaging. I still have more than 11 hours left!


Book Cover: The Hermit of Eyton Forest by Ellis Peters In my ongoing quest to read all of the Brother Cadfael mysteries this year, I have now started reading book #14, The Hermit of Eyton Forest. Abbot Radulfus has been made the guardian of ten-year-old Richard, a student at the Abbey and the future lord of Eaton. Richard's father dies and his grandmother schemes to gain guardianship as she has plans to marry the lad off to a girl twice his age in order to increase the holdings of the Eaton estate. When a guest at the abbey turns up dead, Cadfael is faced with determining who killed him and why. Also, did it have anything to do with the young heir and the controversy over who will be his guardian?


This Week on the Blog

There was little time to read and even less to write blog posts. I do have a couple of reviews that I need write and upload—perhaps I will find time to work on them next week.

  1. Stacking the Shelves (49)

 

I'm pleased to be linking up with The Sunday Post, hosted by Kimba @ The Caffeinated Book Reviewer.

 

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on the blog, showcase books and things received. Share news about what is coming up on the blog for the week ahead.


Disclosure: This post contains links to an affiliate program, for which the BookObsessed online community will receive a few cents if you make purchases.

2 comments:

  1. Fire with Fire has me curious. Yes to non-stop flights. The hubby and I talked about moving back to the east coast and I said someplace with an airport that offers non-stop flights. We can never get one here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with fire with fire! Also, I am running the Book Blog awards this year for the 2nd year in a row and wanted to let you know nominations are open until October 31st . There are 15 awards up for grabs this year. You may nominate your own blog or ask your readers to nominate you. Readers vote on November 15th.
    Please leave a comment on my blog or tweet me @emancipatedmimi or my co-host @QuratulainR to get the badge to add to your site. You may use it to encourage your readers to vote for your blog on Nov 15th. The awards are intended to be fun and exciting, and get your blog some exposure as well. Hope you will join =) I'm usually on Twitter so tweet me anytime with questions or comments =)
    NOMINATE here: http://docs.google.com/forms/d/1kkntQ2xPpTaBcw-5OlDwUMMp1J11psxKS2Pvzi3TQ6k/viewform
    VOTE HERE on Nov 15: http://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uKrnRIt0X7x489A3N60BC4InisHZRR8TVVFQBiCF12E/viewform


    ReplyDelete