Saturday, September 26, 2015

Stacking the Shelves(50)

Again, the only new books in our Texas home came from the library. Although I have hundreds of unread books on hand, I keep selecting books from the library. And that's fine—I'm still not spending any money for books and I'm satisfying my drive to read whatever I happen to be interested in. I picked up two very different books, each a volume in a well-liked series. A week from now you should see both of them listed as books completed in the Sunday Summary.

From the library:

Book Cover: The Confession of Brother Haluin by Ellis Peters In order to complete all of the Brother Cadfael mysteries by the end of the year, I need to read two books per month for the rest of the year. The Confession of Brother Haluin is the 15th of 20 novels in the series and will be the third I've started in September. Don't know if I'll finish it by the end of the month, but I hope so because that will help put me a little bit ahead.

Brother Haluin is seriously injured in a fall from the roof and with death highly likely, he makes a full confession to the Abbot. When he recovers, he sets out on a journey with only Brother Cadfael as his companion, traveling to make amends to those he had hurt.


Book Cover: Celebrity in Death by J D Robb In the 34th volume of the futuristic Eve Dallas mystery series, Eve is attending a party to celebrate the completion of filming of a movie based on one of Eve's cases. During the party, one of the cast members is found dead in the swimming pool, launching Eve on an investigation into who murdered the widely disliked actress.

I've been greedily reading as many of the In Death books as I can get my hands on. It's leisure reading at its best.


 

How about you? Any new books? You're invited to tell us all about it by joining the fun at Stacking the Shelves. According to the reviewers at Tynga's Reviews who host the meme:

Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!

Disclosure: This post contains links to an affiliate program, for which the BookObsessed online community will receive a few cents if you make purchases.

12 comments:

  1. I see that you got some interesting books this week. It looks like it was an awesome week for you as well.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just continuing to read in series that I like very much. I'm keeping up pretty well with challenges, but don't have any slack! Thanks for leaving a comment.

      Delete
  2. Great haul and I hope you enjoy them. J.D. Robb has so many books, especially under her other name as well, I wouldn't know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read lots of books by Nora Roberts -- though I don't think I've read anything published since 2012 since I have been reading other types of books for the most part.

      I'm a big fan of series. And the longer a series is, the better. I just start at the beginning and keep reading. I like the way that characters develop slowly and relationships evolve. I've got more than thirty series that I *want* to read on my wishlist.

      Delete
  3. My Mom read the Cadfael books, and we watched the TV series together when it aired. I enjoyed the series a lot :)

    Happy reading! I hope you meet you goal of reading them all before the end of the year.

    http://natalieslife.com/2015/09/stacking-the-shelves-178

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched the first season of Cadfael. Will definitely want to watch more. I picked a goal that would make me STRETCH. And I'm really having to work hard to keep up.

      Delete
  4. Love the library. I usually have at least two items checked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah -- with a self-imposed ban on buying books, the library is the loophole that lets me still get new (or at least new-to-me) books. Most of my borrowed books these days are electronic so that I don't risk losing a book that belongs to the library.

      Delete
  5. I just discovered the Cadfael books a few months ago when they were a bargain for NOOK. I didn't know there were so many. I really like them, like you I enjoy discovering series later and being to read them closer together. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying reading Cadfael. And I'm learning about British history. I've been looking at other long-running series to focus on next year.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Oh.... I need to get back into the JD Robb books. I used to read them and I adored them, but for some reason I stopped. I hope Celebrity in Death is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what happened to me -- I just looked up one day and there were more than 15 new books in the series. So I started getting them through the library and catching up. And Celebrity in Death is awesome. If I could have stayed awake on the plane today, I'd have finished it by now.

      Delete