Friday, April 24, 2015

The Return of Dewey's Read-a-thon

It's that time again. Dewey's Read-a-thon is taking place on Saturday. It's the most intense of all the read-a-thons that I participate in, challenging readers to read as much as they can in the 24 hours of the event. This read-a-thon is held twice a year and runs from noon UCT on a Saturday to noon UCT the next day. Everyone starts and ends at the same time, so since I live in Texas, my start time is 7am CDT.

My first Dewey's was in October 2009. I don't know how many I've participated in, and I had thought I'd skip it this time. Nearly six years on, I find that I don't have the energy to stay awake the entire time, so I allow myself to turn in when I'm too tired to read any more. My basic approach to Dewey's is to avoid television and all other distractions.

Unlike a lot of other readers, I don't have a stack of books to photograph and share with you. In fact, there's only one book printed on paper that is on my list of books that I've queued up for Saturday. Other than an audiobook in progress, all the other books are sitting in my Kindle and BeBook eReaders. I expect I'll only finish two books tomorrow, but I will have fun regardless.

Spring 2015 Readathon Pile

Book Cover: The Innocent by David Baldacci Book Cover: Justice and Her Brothers by Virginia Hamilton Book Cover: The Quilter's Homecoming by Jennifer Chiaverini Book Cover: Beyond Reach by Siobhan Davis Book Cover: Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue by M C Beaton Book Cover: Back in Society by M C Beaton Book Cover: The Devil's Novice by Ellis Peters

No comments:

Post a Comment