Sunday, September 21, 2014

Sunday Summary, 2014-09-21

I'm really enjoying the weekly summary of what's been going on with my reading life and here on the blog. I'm linking up with The Sunday Post, hosted by Kimba @ The Caffeinated Book Reviewer.

Where I've been reading

This week was the second and final week of the Tackle your TBR read-a-thon. I took advantage of flights on Wednesday and Friday to spend a lot of time reading. In fact, I finally finished reading Mission of Honor on Friday afternoon sitting in the airport. While in Little Rock, I listened to Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World in the rental car as I drove from airport to hotel to customer location and back. That allowed me to finish this book on Friday as well. I read from several different books over the weekend, completing one more, A Lady of Resources by Shelley Adina.

What I've been reading

Mission of Honor by David Weber Format: Kindle
Source: purchased in 2010 from Baen eBooks

I loved how several threads began to come together in this series. It amazes me how the author set up things in this book several years ago in earlier books in the series. In a change from previous books, Honor Harrington isn't engaged in battle. Instead, she steps into the role of ambassador to the Haven Republic. Now, there's plenty of space warfare, but this time the Manticoran Navy is taking on the Solarian League instead of their long-time enemies. I'm quite eager to get going with the next in the series.

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford Format: Audio download
Source: purchased from Audible in February 2014

This was every bit as good as I was hoping. I read very few non-fiction books, but have become fond of Simon Winchester's books on history, geography, and geology. So, when I was looking for another book, I stumbled across Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford. It takes me at least a month to listen to an audio book, but that actually worked to sustain the enjoyment. Everytime I stepped into a rental car this past month, I looked forward to another half-hour or more of this recounting of Genghis Khan's own life and the tremendous positive contribution that he and his people have had on the entire world.

A Lady of Resources by Shelley Adina Format: Kindle
Source: purchased from Amazon in May 2014

Now that I had finally finished Mission of Honor, I picked up this fifth entry in Shelley Adina's Magnificent Devices steampunk series. A Lady of Resources is set six years in the future from the first four books. Lady Claire has moved to Germany, taking the orphaned Mopsies with her to attend school. As the novel begins, the twins Lizzie and Maggie are graduating from school at the same time that Lady Claire graduates from university. With the summer break in front of them, they return to England where an adventure unfolds along with a revelation of the family into which the girls had been born.

Shift by Hugh Howey Format: Kindle
Source: purchased in September 2013 from Amazon

Since the Tackle Your TBR read-a-thon was still going on, I decided to pull out a book that I had started last year but set aside unfinished. Shift by Hugh Howey is a set of stories which serve as a prequel to his highly rated Wool. I couldn't remember exactly where I stopped reading, so I started at the beginning of the second novella, “Second Shift”. Some of it was quite familiar as I was re-reading, but I'm now in an unread portion and looking forward to finishing at least this story if not the entire book.

My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares Format: Audio CD
Source: purchased September 2014 in a close-out sale at Cracker Barrel

The other book I have not yet finished is My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares. I selected this audio book to listen to during my commute on Saturday to and from my son's house. This novel takes an interesting tack on the story of time-crossed lovers. Daniel is in his umteenth incarnation since his earliest memories in Sixth Century Carthage. In each lifetime, he meets his soul mate, Sophia. The big difference between Daniel and Sophia (now named Lucy in her 20th Century US incarnation) is that he remembers all of his past lives and she does not. So when Daniel tries to tell Lucy that he has loved her for more than 1000 years, she freaks out. I'm only a little bit more than an hour into this 10 hour recording, and looking forward t more time alone in the car so I can continue listening.

This Week on the Blog

I posted the first review of a book received from Netgalley . I really enjoyed reading The Dancer and the Raja by Javier Moro and was pleased to provide a review for the publisher, Open Road Media. The rest of the posts were mostly status updates for the Tackle Your TBR read-a-thon. And on Saturday, I posted the weekly Stacking the Shelves update about the new books I received the past week.

  1. Tackle Your TBR: Status Update 3
  2. Review: The Dancer and the Raja
  3. Tackle Your TBR: Status Update 4
  4. Stacking the Shelves

1 comment:

  1. That's an interesting mix of genres you have. I'm all over the place too.
    Here is my Sunday Post - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/09/21/whats-new-on-my-bookshelf-79-and-the-sunday-post-now-thats-a-lot-of-books/

    ReplyDelete