Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Olympic Read-a-Thon: Status Update

I am participating in Random House of Canada's Olympic Readathon I think it's time to look at where I am in the Read-a-Thon versus my goal. Due to my terribly busy work schedule (see previous post), I've read only 211 pages during days 10-12 of Random House of Canada's Olympic Readathon. Twelve days into this seventeen day event is 70.6%, and I've read 1693 pages toward my goal of 2500, which is 67.7%. That's not too bad of a discrepancy and I think I can easily reach my goal by the time the closing ceremonies are broadcast on 12 August.

For the past three days, I've been reading the same book—The Mapping of Love and Death by Jacqueline Winspear. This is the seventh book in her Maisie Dobbs mystery series, and I think it's the very best one so far. I finished it this morning before breakfast; update to be posted tomorrow. I do have one more of the series on hand which I plan to read next week during Bout of Books 5.0.

In the meantime, I have picked up Runner by Thomas Perry, the sixth book in his Jane Whitefield mystery series which appeared in print 10 years after the previous book. It was a long wait, and I wasn't sure whether there'd ever be another in the series. I read through the first two chapters during breakfast and it literally started of with a bang. I know that I'm going to interrupt the reading of this book this evening when my hubby arrives with the box of books I put into his car. I set completing A Call to Arms by Alan Dean Foster as the one goal for the Summer Wrap-Up Read-a-Thon, and I need to get onto it.

Fortunately, there's one more weekend in both of these read-a-thons. We're starting our summer vacation on Friday afternoon and I expect fewer intrusions into my reading time.

The Mapping of Love and Death by Jacqueline Winspear Runner by Thomas Perry A Call to Arms by Alan Dean Foster

#OlympicReadathon Summary

Sunday, 8/5
Number of pages I've read today: 20
Number of books completed today: 0
Total number of pages I've read: 1502
Total number of books completed: 6

Monday, 8/6
Number of pages I've read today: 91
Number of books completed today: 0
Total number of pages I've read: 1593
Total number of books completed: 6

Tuesday, 8/7
Number of pages I've read today: 100
Number of books completed today: 0
Total number of pages I've read: 1693
Total number of books completed: 6

1 comment: