Thursday, January 08, 2009

BTT: Best books of 2008

This week's Booking Through Thursday prompt asks “It’s a week or two later than you’d expect, and it may be almost a trite question, but … what were your favorite books from 2008?”

Now this is a different perspective on “Best Books of 2008”. At BookObsessed, I posted these as the best books I had read during 2008:

  • Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
  • Full of Grace by Dorothea Benton Frank
  • The Ruby Ring by Diane Haeger
  • The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
  • Soul Identity by Dennis Batchelder

I've made no attempt to rank these against each other. They were simply the very best books that I read all year. They are books that I gladly recommend. The two that were in paper (Full of Grace and The Ruby Ring) have already been swapped and mailed to other readers. Unfortunately, I can't do the same with the electronic books, though I should point out that Little Brother is freely available via download from Doctorow's web site. It was also released with a Creative Commons copyright that allows its distribution, so you can download copies formatted for various electronic readers from MobileRead and Feedbooks. I also wrote short reviews of Little Brother and Soul Identity.

Now, if I take the prompt literally and look at my favorite books of the year, then I'd have to add a couple that aren't in the same class as best books.

  • Bishop Special Crimes series by Kay Hooper

I signed up for a bookring circulating the nine books in this series. The first two books, Stealing Shadows and Hiding in the Shadows arrived in February and I was immediately hooked. The last three books arrived in November and I quickly read them to get them on the way to the next reader in the ring.

  • Stealing Shadows
  • Hiding in the Shadows
  • Out of the Shadows
  • Touching Evil
  • Whisper of Evil
  • Sense of Evil
  • Hunting Fear
  • Chill of Fear
  • Sleeping with Fear
  • Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer

Another guilty pleasure I indulged this year was reading PUF (Paranormal and Urban Fiction). It's a genre I had not explored prior to 2008, but I'm really enjoying most of the books I've been reading. Many of these books are romances, and the Twilight series was aimed at a young adult audience. These particular books were all the rage and after hearing about them for a while, I plunged in and read them quickly, purchasing the last in the series a day or two after the publication date. I topped off my Twilight experience by going to see the movie with my sister and her daughters over Thanksgiving weekend.

  • Twilight
  • New Moon
  • Eclipse
  • Breaking Dawn

1 comment:

  1. Twilight is in my top 5 for 2008! LOVED the whole series! (popped over from BTT)

    ReplyDelete