Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sunday Post: 19 July 2015

Where I've been reading

I had a second week at home in Texas. I would have liked to take care of stuff that needs to be done, but I didn't. I still have a huge mound of laundry to wash, dry, and fold. I haven't made the sweet potato muffins I promised my hubby. I didn't sew or knit at all during these past two weeks. I just worked, read, and watched a little bit of TV. And, I spent each Saturday with my grandson. He's become quite the engineer or architect with Legos, building cars and boats and buildings with amazing creativity for a 5-year-old.

 

What I've been reading: Completed this week

Format: eBook
Source: purchased in March 2010
Completed: 13 July

★★★☆☆

I purchased this volume in 2010, but never got around to reading the ones before it, so it sat in my Kindle ready to read. I've been really enjoying reading right through the series, particularly with the omnibus of four books I previously borrowed from the library. This makes the fifth In Death novel I've read since the middle of June. I'm going to take a break from them for a while since I want to focus on the three target series I selected at the beginning of the year.

In Fantasy in Death, police Lieutenant Eve Dallas is called to the mansion of über-geek Bart Minnock, where he has been found dead. It's the classic locked room mystery—Bart locked himself into his home holo deck to play a brand new virtual reality game. No one could have been in the room with him, but clearly someone had to have been there. Bart has been killed with a very sharp sword, you see, and both sword and assailant are simply not there.

COYER book #9


Book Cover: A Different Witch by Debora Geary Format: eBook
Source: borrowed from Kindle Lending Library
Completed: 15 July

★★★★☆

Looking for something a little bit different, I plunged into A Different Witch by Debora Geary, which I borrowed in June from the Kindle Lending Library. I'm enjoying this Modern Witch series very much. First off, the witches have discovered that technology, and particularly the Internet, is a new mystical "element" like the basics of earth, water, air, and fire. Some witches—particularly those who are programmers—have an affinity for tech and can work magic there. And, the stories are simply good. There's a bit of romance, but no explicit anything. There's wholesome family interaction including a great deal of humor in trying to keep a precocious 1 year old witchling from burning down her house as she explores her affinity for fire magic.

In A Different Witch, the families at Witch Central meet a young witch who comes to them for training. Beth simply doesn't fit in, which doesn't surprise her at all since she's struggled with her Asperger's all of her life. As she learns to trust her trainers and as they learn to respect that she approaches magic very differently, everyone grows and friendships blossom.


Book Cover: A Celtic Witch by Debora Geary Format: eBook
Source: borrowed from Kindle Lending Library
Completed: 15 July

★★★☆☆

As soon as I finished reading A Different Witch, I returned it and borrowed A Celtic Witch as my July selection from the Kindle Lending Library. The Celtic witch is Cassidy Farrell, a world-class Celtic fiddler. In the midst of her annual vacation, she feels a tugging to travel to the small coastal community of Fishers Cove, Nova Scotia. Cass knows that she's a bit fey and "hears the rocks", but she wouldn't consider herself a witch at all. The witches of Fishers Cove, however, see the magic manifest when she plays her fiddle. Why is she in Fishers Cove? And how might her life change as a result of this visit?


What I've been reading: In progress

Book Cover: The Secret Abyss by Darrell Pitt I've almost finished reading The Secret Abyss, the second book in the Jack Mason Adventures (otherwise known as the Steampunk Detective series). You'll be seeing a review this coming week. Jack and Scarlett, young apprentices to detective Ignatius Doyle, travel with their mentor to America in pursuit of the arch-criminal, the Chameleon. With steam power predominant and flight in dirigible airships filled with hydrogen gas, it's an interesting take on the application of technology to the investigation of crimes.


Book Cover: Dodger by Terry Pratchett I started listening to Dodger, one of this summer's free audiobooks from SYNC, on the drive down to my son's house on Saturday. As expected, I'm enjoying it very much. So far I've been introduced to Dodger, a young tosher (scavenger in the sewers), Charles Dickens, a mysterious young lady who was rescued from a beating by Dodger and Dickens, along with Mr. Mayhew to whose home she was taken to recover. The reader, Stephen Briggs, brings Victorian London to life, falling into the gutter slang used by Dodger and his friends with great ease.


This Week on the Blog

This week I introduced a new weekly feature to the blog: Focus on Freading. I pland to highlight books that catch my attention at the Freading.com online catalog. Most of the time, these will be books that I want to borrow through my library's subscription.

  1. Introducing Focus on Freading
  2. Stacking the Shelves (41)

 

I'm pleased to be linking up with The Sunday Post, hosted by Kimba @ The Caffeinated Book Reviewer.

 

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on the blog, showcase books and things received. Share news about what is coming up on the blog for the week ahead.


Disclosure: This post contains links to an affiliate program, for which the BookObsessed online community will receive a few cents if you make purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment