Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Confessions of a Pagan Nun

Confessions of a Pagan Nun In my current fascination with Brigid, I stumbled across this book mentioned on someone else's blog. As usual, I asked the library to find a copy through InterLibrary Loan and sure enough, it arrived on the 13th from the Austin Public Library.

The novel reads like the diary of Sister Gynneve, one of 19 nuns in the convent of Saint Bridget in Kildare. Set around 500 BCE, Gynneve tells her own story: the poverty of her early years, her longing for knowledge and subsequent apprenticeship to the Druid Giannon, and her entry into the convent where she is subsequently martyrred. Of particular interest is the story of how Christianity was spread by zealous monks and priests, displacing the pagan traditions.

I very much enjoyed this book, even though it was quite dark and dreary. I want to approach this book again in a couple of months.


No comments:

Post a Comment