Saturday, February 07, 2015

Stacking the Shelves (21)

This was the first week of February, and Amazon's newest set of Kindle First books are now available. Amazon Prime members were allowed to select two of the four books for free, so I did. I also borrowed a book from the library—so none of the new books this week cost me anything.

Library Books

Book Cover: Hyperion by Dan Simmons Hyperion has been designated as the Sci-Fi Group Read in the Flights of Fantasy group at Goodreads. I'd intended to read it, but never got around to obtaining a copy of the book, so this was a great motivation to get started. So far, I've read about 25 pages and it's shaping up very well. I think I'm going to enjoy it very much.

 


Freebies

Book Cover: The Mermaid's Sister by Carrie Anne Noble Book Cover: The Dead Key by D M Pulley These two books were offered by Amazon in the Kindle First program. Each month, four books are offered prior to publication to Kindle First members. All Amazon Prime members are automatically members of Kindle First and receive one free book each month. (Except that in January and February, members were given two free books.) Non-prime members can join Kindle First by subscribing to the newsletter and thus become eligible to purchase Kindle First books at a reduced price, before their release date.

The Mermaid's Sister is a fantasy set in the late 1800s. Two babies are adopted by the village "wise woman" and as they enter their teens, one is turning into a mermaid. The story in The Dead Key bounces back and forth between 1978 and 1998, revealing the secrets of the derelict First Bank of Cleveland. This mystery/thriller already has 39 reviews, half of which are 5-star reviews. I'm looking forward to reading both of these books.

 


How about you? Any new books? You're invited to tell us all about it by joining the fun at Stacking the Shelves. According to the reviewers at Tynga's Reviews who host the meme:

Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!

4 comments:

  1. An amazing assortment books of this week. These books are brand new to me as I've never heard of them. They look very good.

    Grace @ Books of Love
    My STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two books from Kindle First are due to be published next month. So they're almost like getting an ARC -- but without the guilt trip to read quickly and review!

      Hyperion is considered a "classic" in the SF genre. Allthough it was originally published in 1990, I simply never got around to reading it. But now I am!

      Delete
  2. The Mermaid's sister has a beautiful cover, I need to look into this Kindle First thing! I hope you enjoy your reads :)

    My StS

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley -- I'm glad you stopped by. Kindle First is a great deal if you have a Kindle Prime subscription. But even if you don't you still get an opportunity to get a soon-to-be-published book at a good discount.

      Delete