Monday, June 09, 2014

Yeah, yeah, yeah ...

Yeah, I've been away from my blog for a long time. And, I totally missed Bout of Books 10.0. What makes this a terrible shame is that it began on my birthday and I had been really excited to participate. But, I forgot about the read-a-thon and it was mid-week when I noticed that it was going on. Too late to participate in all the hoopla around the read-a-thon, but my lack of participation didn't really impact the amount of reading that I did during the week.

So, I was really excited this morning when I saw something slide past on Facebook announcing a Library Books Readathon starting today! I was in the airport, waiting for a flight to Phoenix, so this is the first opportunity I've had to post my intention on participating.

This particular read-a-thon is so appropriate because I set myself a personal goal at the beginning of the year not to spend any money on books for myself. I'm allowing myself to buy books for friends and family and I'm accepting gifts of books, but otherwise I'm not spending any money on books this year. That means that I've been reading a LOT of library books. Of the 76 books I've read this year, 49 of them have been from a library. I've been taking advantage of eBook lending from two local libraries—which is a really good thing since I had to pay to replace a library book that I lost on a business trip last year. With eBooks, I can safely take a library book along on a trip.

This morning, I finished reading Independent Study, the second book in Joelle Charbonneau's trilogy which began with The Testing. I saw it listed in the Overdrive.com listing for my secondary library, and placed a hold on the book. It just became available on Friday, so I quickly checked it out and downloaded it into my Kindle. I almost finished it yesterday, but just couldn't stay up long enough to complete it. So I read the last couple of chapters this morning. Right now I'm reading Sub-Human, the first book in David Simpson's Post-Human series. I borrowed this one from the Kindle Owner's Lending Library, a perk of my Amazon Prime subscription.

I'll post some goals in a little bit. Right now, I'm going to get this post online so I can link up with the other participants in the read-a-thon.

Independent Study by Joelle Charbonneau Sub-Human by David Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment