Thursday, June 12, 2014

Library Book Read-a-thon Day 4: Inter-Library Loan

We're now four days into the Library books read-a-thon and I'm going to follow Rachel's lead today and talk about Inter-Library Loan (ILL). As Rachel explains, ILL is a service available to any library in the USA. Participating libraries may borrow items from the collections of other libraries. Of course, a library is free to decline a request if the item is rare or fragile -- or for any other reason.

Of the 50 library books I have read this year, four of them have been obtained via ILL. My library charges a postage fee, usually only $1, to defer the costs of shipping.

Since my library does not have the ILLIAD application, I have to request the books in person or by sending an e-mail to the library's address. I've never bothered to research which libraries might have copies of the book, but I did follow Rachel's suggestion to use the Worldcat catalog. I may find that useful in the next few months!

Progress in the Read-a-Thon

I didn't have as much time to read yesterday as I would have liked. I read a little bit further into Sorcery and Cecelia and I'm just about to board an airplane to fly home, so I plan to read for the entire 3 hours of the flight. That means I should finish, or come close to finishing a book tonight. Well, that's if I don't fall asleep.

Library books finished during the read-a-thon

Independent Study by Joelle Charbonneau Sub-Human by David Simpson

Library books I'm currently reading:

Sorcery and Cecelia by Patricia C Wrede and Caroline Stevermer Post-Human by David Simpson

Library books I plan to read during the read-a-thon

The Grand Tour by Patricia C Wrede and Caroline Stevermer The Mislaid Magician by Patricia C Wrede and Caroline Stevermer Burn by Nevada Barr Bad Blood by Dana Stabenow

6 comments:

  1. So glad you finished two books. I love World Cat. It makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Sorcery & Cecelia series, I picked it up on a kindle special awhile back, be curious to read your thoughts as I haven't read them yet.

    I'd ask your library if they participate in ILL. My library system does and they have a special sign-in the sends to WorldCat for requesting books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevermind my "ask library" comment, I was not paying close enough attention.

      So far I haven't had to pay for a borrow, but mine does ask if I'm willing to and how much.

      Delete
    2. I actually read the first book (Sorcery and Cecelia, or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot) in June 2011. I really enjoyed it. I'm re-reading it right now since I barely remember what happened. Then I'll read the rest of the trilogy.

      Delete
  3. *waves* Hello! Checking in on you. :D How were the David Simpson books? I think I've looked at those before and thought they sounded interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I've completed Sub-Human and Post-Human. Sub-Human was written later, but it's a prequel to the series, so the author re-ordered the books when the omnibus was put together. Post-Human isn't as well written, and to really understand the story, it helps to have read the prequel. I'm enjoying the series and will definitely finish it out in the next week or two.

      Delete