Wednesday, September 22, 2004

105th book read this year

The Diary of Mattie Spenser Last night, I read the final chapter in The Diary of Mattie Spenser by Sandra Dallas. I discovered this author around 7-8 years ago when her novel, The Persian Pickle Club, was recommended by the proprietor of The Mystery Bookstore in Dallas. I had tried to read Alice's Tulips, but just could not get involved in the story.

In this book, Sandra Dallas has written a delightful historical novel. I thoroughly enjoyed it for the plot, the characters, and the wise observations about the role diaries play in the lives of women. Consider these quotes on the value of keeping a diary or journal:

"I think a journal causes one to reexamine the events of one's life and find ways to improve oneself."

"As I have not met a woman who could be my dearest friend ... this book serves as a silent companion, a witness to my joys and sorrows and confessions. It helps to confide to my journal the things I can confide to no one."

No comments:

Post a Comment