Wednesday, March 30, 2011

WWW...Wednesday: 30 March 2011

WWW_Wednesdays icon I've been so busy over the past couple of weeks that I haven't kept up with MizB's WWW ... WEDNESDAY meme from her Should be Reading blog. Each week, she asks three simple questions:
1. What are you currently reading?
2. What did you recently finish reading?
3. What do you think you’ll read next?
and bloggers all over the world post their answers and link back to her blog. Here are my answers for the last Wednesday in March.

1:  I am almost half-way through The Know-It-All by A J Jacobs. In 2003, Jacobs set himself the task of reading through the entire 2002 edition of Encyclopedia Brittanica. With a subtitle of “One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World”, you might think that this is a dull book, but it's anything but. It's charming, it's profound, it's humorous, it's poignant, and above all it's fun.

I'm still listening to Heaven's Net is Wide by Lian Hearn. I've almost reached the end of disk 10 (of 15) and I'm confident I'll be finishing it next week since I have to commute to the office every day—a distance of 50 miles which can sometimes take 1 and ½ hours if I get caught up in traffic.

The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A J Jacobs Heaven's Net is Wide by Lian Hearn

2:  After returning from vacation, the pace of reading slowed down a bit. I have taken two business trips which allowed me to spend a couple of hours—uninterrupted—reading. I definitely don't need any other entertainment on the airplane. Just give me a good book or two.

So, what have I read in the past two weeks? On the last day of our trip, I started reading Death at Gallows Green by Robin Paige, the second book in a cozy historical mystery series set in Victorian times. In addition to the characters introduced in the first book, Beatrix Potter plays a role in solving the mystery of who murdered a local constable. On the plane to Costa Mesa, I buckled down and read the last half of The Warden by Anthony Trollope. I can't remember when I started reading it, but since it was supposed to be the first of two Trollope novels that I had challenged myself to read in 2010, I'm sure I must have started it early in the year. So, I'm finally finished with it and can queue up the next book in his Barsetshire Chronicles.

The next two books were very long books which took 4-5 days each to read: Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher and Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade by Diana Gabaldon. Both were excellent books and I'm glad that there are additional books in both series that I can look forward to reading.

Death at Gallows Green by Robin Paige The Warden by Anthony Trollope Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade by Diana Gabaldon

3:  Next up will be a couple of books which I owe to fellow book swappers at BookObsessed. I'm thinking the very next book will be another of the Vegas Vampires: Bit the Jackpot by Erin McCarthy. It is shorter, totally frivolous, and likely to be a very fast read. Other books I plan to read fairly soon are Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas, The Geometry of Sisters by Luanne Rice, and South of Broad by Pat Conroy.

Bit the Jackpot by Erin McCarthy Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas The Geometry of Sisters by Luanne Rice South of Broad by Pat Conroy

Until next time, I'll be Reading in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment