Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: 23 September 2014

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they provide a prompt and other book lovers join in with their own top ten list.

This week's theme is “Top Ten Books On My Fall To-Be-Read list”.

The last Top Ten Tuesday I posted asked about the Top Ten Books I Really Want To Read But Don't Own Yet. I'm happy to report that I've already read three of these, all borrowed from the library. This week's Top Ten list will draw from the books on hand:

  1. Monk's Hood by Ellis Peters Monk's Hood is the third book in Ellis Peters' series of mysteries set in a monastery in Medieval England. I was very happy when this series became available to borrow in electronic format from my local library through their subscription to Freading. I plan to work my way straight through the Brother Cadfael series through the fall.

     

  2. A Rising Thunder by David Weber At the beginning of the year, I identified three series that I wanted to complete in 2014. One of these was David Weber's Honor Harrington series of military science fiction. A Rising Thunder is the 13th book in the main series. Like the other books in the series, it is well over 800 pages long, so it will take me a week or more to finish it. And then, I have one more book to read to complete my personal challenge.

     

  3. Shadow of Freedom by David Weber And Shadow of Freedom is the last book in my personal series challenge. I purchased the electronic version of this book late last year from Baen eBooks. I did discover that in March, David Weber released yet another book in the Honorverse. It wasn't part of my challenge, but I'll go ahead and read it before the end of the year if time permits.

     

  4. The Oblate's Confession by William Peak Netgalley sent me a free copy of The Oblate's Confession for review. This novel by William Peak is scheduled to be released in early December. Set in an English monastery, I expect to find some synergy between the Brother Cadfael mysteries of Eliis Peters and this novel, although it is set several hundred years earlier. I sampled the first chapter of this book as soon as I downloaded it, and I found myself engaged right away.

     

  5. Inhuman by David Simpson One advantage to owning a Kindle is getting introduced to a number of independent authors who are taking advantage of Amazon's own publishing platform. Earlier this year, I picked up the omnibus edition containing the first four books of David Simpson's Post-Human series and quickly read through them during June. Inhuman is the fifth book in the series and according to reviews on the Amazon site, it ties the original stories together.

     

  6. V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton I'm a fan of Kinsey Millhone, the private-eye brought to live by Sue Grafton in her Alphabet Mysteries. V is for Vengeance is the 22nd offering in the series, which so far goes up to “W”. I can't imagine the series ending, but I wonder if Grafton will keep it going when she runs out of the alphabet.

     

  7. The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison I'm just heartbroken that Kim Harrison has ended her supernatural Hollows series starring Rachel Morgan. The Undead Pool is the next-to-last book in the series. I'll be borrowing both from the local library, and there's quite a waiting list for them. That's OK by me since I don't want to rush through these last two books.

     

  8. Murder Tightly Knit by Vanetta Chapman Zondervan, an imprint of HarperCollins, offered a free copy of Murder Tightly Knit by Vanetta Chapman on Netgalley in exchange for a review. I was attracted to the cover and since I had enjoyed other books set in Amish communities, I thought I'd request it for review. So, I need to read and review before its publication date of December 16th.

     

  9. A Lady of Spirit by Shelley Adina My niece introduced me to Shelley Adina's Magnificent Devices series earlier this year. I had picked up an omnibus of the first four books when it was on sale last Fall, but hadn't gotten around to reading them. She was so excited about the books that as soon as she completed the omnibus, we ordered the next two books right away. I have had a wonderful time reading all the previous books and I will soon start reading A Lady of Spirit, the most recent book in this YA steampunk series. I certainly hope it won't be the last.

     

  10. Skinwalker by Faith Hunter I have had Skinwalker on my “want to read“ list for quite a while. I received the eBook last month, moving it off my Wish List to the active TBR stack. Since I've really enjoyed reading most of the paranormal fiction that has been recommended to me, I'm looking forward to reading this book as soon as I can.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment